Thursday, July 09, 2009

Ayuthaya - A trip to relive the Centuries

When I first started out to travel to Ayutthaya by land, a journey almost a 1000 kms, I had my misgivings as to how much I would enjoy the journey. On hindsight, I am very glad that I took it up.

Ayutthaya is named after Ayodhya and hence is filled with rich cultural layers of history if you know anything about Indian and South East Asian mythologies. Every structure was so exquisite even in its ruin that you just can’t help but try envisioning it during it’s hey days. The whole city must have been built like the mythical universe, with Mount Meru at the center and the seven seas surrounding it. All adorned by thousands of Buddha sculptures in various states of decay. The decay though touches only the stone. Not the expression of the idols. It does send a sense of disquiet when even after centuries of ravages by humans and elements the statues still smile gracefully at the visitors. I think they win in the end. Not even nature but the statues.

This trip has aroused in me a real desire to take a look at Angkor Wat. If for nothing else but to see how megalomania and grandeur combine into heady art. No man can describe what they think when they walk alone amongst these ruins. Before I get philosophical let me post a couple of pictures that I took that I liked during the trip.

No comments: